Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Blown sugar

Have you ever seen pastry chefs on tv blowing sugar? It looks so simple. You just push the tube into a wad of sugar, pump the bulb, and you have a perfect sphere! Except it doesn't happen like that.

Blown sugar is HARD to do. First, I had trouble getting my sugar into the right shape to start without it cooling too fast, then I couldn't get a good seal around the tube. The ball wouldn't stay smooth and round, either. I had thin spots, and flat spots, and the whole thing made me want to pull my hair out.

So, here are some pictures of the things my classmates & I made. First, our balls and waves, and a vase my teacher made. I made the pink ball, and I think the biggest yellow one is mine, too.




This was the beginning of a fish (I didn't make this.) He doesn't have eyes yet; they will go in the depressions at the front. The blue thing in the background is a ball that deflated while I was cooling it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! I think that is so cool. I am considering entering a baking & pastry program, and it would be so amazing to try something like that. I love the little yellow flower in the picture.